Can bay leaves can help with insomnia?
In researching more natural ways to combat insomnia, I can across a very common household herb that has been used medicinally for thousands of years. Strangely enough, it can help you to relax and get that good night’s sleep you need. That herb is the common bay leaf.
We all know that one of the main causes of insomnia is anxiety, or the ability to shut the brain down at night and relax.
The good news is that bay leaves (also called Laurel leaves) have been used as a natural medicine for thousands of years for such things as ….
- Bloating and flatulence
- Blackouts or fatigue
- Cases of chronic fatigue or exhaustion, shortage of energy
- Fluid retention
- Issues with the sciatic nerve
- Muscle cramps
- Muscular weakness
- Migraines and headaches
- Nerve and muscle contractures
- Premenstrual signs
- Skin infections
- Sleep apnea and snoring
Many of these problems can contribute to insomnia, the most common one being Anxiety.
Three simple ways to use Bay Leaves to help with Insomnia!
1. Use in cooking. First of course we’re all used to using the bay leaves in cooking. There is a compound in bay leaves that is called linalool that is known to help people reduce anxiety and relax. They can also be added to soups or stews. Be sure to remove them though before eating, because even though the flavor and oils have many health benefits, eating them directly is not good for you.
2. Burn them. Next, Bay leaves have the ability to trigger specific relaxation hormones in your body that will help you to fall asleep naturally.
About an hour before you go to bed, take three or four bay leaves and put them into a fireproof container such as an ash tray, shallow can, or a pie plate with aluminum foil on it. Then using a match or lighter, just set them on fire. Be careful, the leaves are very inflammable. This is due to the essential oils they contain.
The aromas generated from the essential oils in these leaves burning leaves can help your body to relax and get into a sleep mode.
3. Make an herbal tea with Bay Leaves.
Finally, you can make a tea by boiling two or three bay leaves in a cup of water for about ten minutes. Take the leaves out and drink the tea.
Now turn off the TV, put away your phone, and just sit back and relax.